Sunday, March 4, 2012

Floating Magnets

We've been studying magnets this week and the students have had a great time seeing what attaches to magnets, how much weight a magnet can hold, and learning about its north and south poles. Out of all of our investigations, however, the students most enjoyed figuring out how to make a cup float using a pencil and two magnets. We brainstormed lots of creative ideas, but in the end the students figured out that the north and south poles would allow the cup to float on the pencil. They had a great time moving the "magically floating cup" up and down the pencil. We have one more week of magnets and I'm excited to continue to allow the students to explore them through fun activities!







1 comment:

  1. Dear Miss Swindle,
    I am reading your blog from a town called Bendigo, which is located in Victoria, Australia. I am a second year university student studying an Education degree. I'm currently creating a science sequence on Magnetic Force and stumbled across your blog amongst my searching. I think I will steal your idea of the floating cup, if that is ok? I haven't seen that before. I was considering doing a car race too, but I only need one activity for this particular section.
    Anyway, lovely to see a class having so much fun with their learning, taught by an enthusiastic teacher.
    Regards,
    Amy Smith.

    ReplyDelete